1993-1997: Graduated, Health and Sports Science, Kawasaki University of Medical Welfare.
1997-1999: M.S., Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Tohoku University School of Medicine.
1999-2002: Ph.D., Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Tohoku University School of Medicine.
2002.10-2004.10: Research Fellow, New Industry Creation Hatchery Center, Tohoku University, Japan.
2004.11-2006.3: Research Associate, Consolidated Research Institute for Advanced Science and Medical Care, Waseda University.
2006.4-2008.3: Lecture, Consolidated Research Institute for Advanced Science and Medical Care, Waseda University, Japan.
2008.4-2009.1: Research Fellow, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School, Singapore (Dr. Zhen Yan’s Lab).
2009.2-2013.3: Research Associate, Center for Skeletal Muscle Research,
Robert M. Berne Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Virginia School of Medicine (Dr. Zhen Yan’s Lab).
2013.4-2014.3: Assistant professor, Faculty of Sports Sciences, Waseda University, Japan.
2014.4-2019.3: Lecture, Graduate School of Natural Sciences, Nagoya City University, Japan.
2019.4-present: Associate professor, Graduate School of Natural Sciences, Nagoya City University, Japan.
Honors and Awards
1997-1999: The Japan Scholarship Foundation Scholarship for University Students.
1999-2002: The Japan Scholarship Foundation Scholarship for University Students.
2005: 2th Moriguchi Award (Travel grant for 7th International Society of Exercise and Immunology), Japanese Society of Exercise and Immunology.
2007: 3th Moriguchi Award (Travel grant for 8th International Society of Exercise and Immunology), Japanese Society of Exercise and Immunology.
2007: Outstanding Award 2006, Consolidated Research Institute for Advanced Science and Medical Care, Waseda University, Japan.
2008: Outstanding Award 2007, Consolidated Research Institute for Advanced Science and Medical Care, Waseda University, Japan.
2011: Best Poster Prize, University of Virginia Dept. of Pharmacology Retreat.
2012: Rigel Post-doctoral Investigator Award, American Physiological Society Environmental and Exercise Physiology (EEP) Section.
2015: Nagoya City University President’s Award.
• Muscle physiology and biology
•Skeletal muscle physiology and biology in exercise
• Skeletal muscle atrophy
• Regulation of antioxidants in skeletal muscle
• Angiogenesis in skeletal muscle
• Muscle contractile activity
1) Miyachi M, Iemitsu M, Okutsu M, Onodera S. Effects of endurance training on the size and blood flow of the arterial conductance vessels in humans. Acta Physiol Scand. 163(1):13-6, 1998.
2) Nagatomi R, Kaifu T, Okutsu M, Zhang X, Kanemi O, Ohmori H. Modulation of the immune system by the autonomic nervous system and its implication in immunological changes after training. Exerc Immunol Rev. 6:54-74, 2000.
3) Okutsu M, Ishii K, Niu KJ, Nagatomi R. Cortisol-induced CXCR4 augmentation mobilizes T lymphocytes after acute physical stress. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 288(3)R591-1, 2005.
4) Zhang X, Okutsu M, Kanemi O, Gametchu B, Nagatomi R. Repeated stress suppresses interferon-gamma production by murine intestinal intraepithelial lymphocytes. Tohoku J Exp Med. 206(3):203-12, 2005.
5) Zhang X, Okutsu M, Kanemi O, Nagatomi R. Effect of foot shock stress on the interferon-gamma production of murine intestinal intraepithelial lymphocytes. Immunol Lett. 100(2):170-6, 2005.
6) Niu K, Hozawa A, Fujita K, Ohmori K, Okutsu M, Kuriyama S, Tsuji I, Nagatomi R. Influence of leisure-time physical activity on the relationship between C-reactive protein and hypertension in a community-based elderly population of Japan: the Tsurugaya project. Hypertens Res. 28(9):747-54, 2005.
7) Suzuki K, Peake J, Nosaka K, Okutsu M, Abbiss CR, Surriano R, Bishop D, Quod MJ, Lee H, Martin DT, Laursen PB. Changes in markers of muscle damage, inflammation and HSP70 after an Ironman Triathlon race. Eur J Appl Physiol. 98(6):525-34, 2006.
8) Shing CM, Peake JM, Suzuki K, Okutsu M, Pereira R, Stevenson L, Jenkins D, Coombes JS. Effects of Bovine Colostrum Supplementation on Immune Variables of Highly-Trained Cyclists. J Appl Physiol. 102(3):1113-22, 2007.
9) Peake J, Peiffer JJ, Abbiss CR, Nosaka K, Okutsu M, Laursen PB, Suzuki K. Body temperature and its effect on leukocyte mobilization, cytokines and markers of neutrophil activation during and after exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol. 102(4):391-401, 2008.
10) Okutsu M, Yoshida Y, Zhang X, Tamagawa A, Ohkubo T, Tsuji I, Nagatomi R. Exercise training enhances in vivo tuberculosis purified protein derivative response in the elderly. J Appl Physiol. 104(6):1690-6, 2008.
11) Okutsu M, Suzuki K, Ishijima T, Peake J, Higuchi M. The effects of acute exercise-induced cortisol on CCR2 expression on human monocytes. Brain, Behav, Immunity. 22(7):1066-71, 2008.
12) Ogawa K, Suzuki K, Okutsu M, Yamazaki K, Shinkai S. The association of elevated reactive oxygen species level from neutrophils with low-grade inflammation in the elderly. Immun Ageing. 5:13-, 2008.
13) Geng T, Li P, Okutsu M, Yin X, Kwek J, Zhang M, Yan Z. PGC-1alpha plays a functional role in exercise-induced mitochondrial biogenesis and angiogenesis but not fiber-type transformation in mouse skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 298(3):C572-9, 2010.
14) Ogawa K, Sanada K, Machida S, Okutsu M, Suzuki K. Resistance exercise training-induced muscle hypertrophy was associated with reduction of inflammatory markers in elderly women. Mediators Inflamm. 2010:171023, 2010.
15) Yan Z, Okutsu M, Akhtar YN, Lira VA. Regulation of exercise-induced fiber type transformation, mitochondrial biogenesis, and angiogenesis in skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol. 110(1):264-74, 2011.
16) Wada S, Kato Y, Okutsu M, Miyaki S, Suzuki K, Yan Z, Schiaffino S, Asahara H, Ushida T, Akimoto T. Translational suppression of atrophic regulators by microRNA-23a integrates resistance to skeletal muscle atrophy. J Biol Chem. 286(44):38456-65, 2011.
17) Haldar SM, Jeyaraj D, Anand P, Zhu H, Lu Y, Prosdocimo DA, Eapen B, Kawanami D, Okutsu M, Brotto L, Fujioka H, Kerner J, Rosca MG, McGuinness OP, Snow RJ, Russell AP, Gerber AN, Bai X, Yan Z, Nosek TM, Brotto M, Hoppel CL, Jain MK. KLF15 Regulates skeletal muscle lpid flux and exercise adaptation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 109(17):6739-44, 2012.
18) Ruas JL, White JP, Rao1 RR, Brannan KT, Harrison BC, Greene NP, Kleiner S, Wu J, Estall JL, Irving VB, Lanza IR, Rasbach KA, Okutsu M, Nair KS, Yan Z, Leinwand LA, Spiegelman BM. A novel PGC-1α isoform induced by resistance training regulates skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Cell. 151(6):1319-31, 2012.
19) Rowe GC, Patten IS, Zsengeller ZK, El-Khoury R, Okutsu M, Bampoh S, Koulisis N, Farrell C, Hirshman MF, Yan Z, Goodyear LJ, Rustin P, Arany Z. Disconnecting mitochondrial content from respiratory chain capacity in PGC-1-deficient skeletal muscle. Cell Rep. 3(5):1449-56, 2013.
20) Meng ZX, Li S, Wang L, Ko HJ, Lee Y, Jung DY, Okutsu M, Yan Z, Kim JK, Lin JD. Baf60c drives glycolytic metabolism in the muscle and improves systemic glucose homeostasis through Deptor-mediated Akt activation. Nature Med. 19(5):640-5, 2013.
21) Zhang C, He Y, Okutsu M, Ong LC, Jin Y, Zheng L, Chow P, Yu S, Zhang M, Yan Z. Autophagy is involved in adipogenic differentiation by repressesing proteasome-dependent PPARγ2 degradation. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 305(4):E530-9, 2013.
22) Lira VA, Okutsu M, Zhang M, Greene NP, Laker RC, Breen DS, Hoehn KL, Yan Z. Autophagy is required for exercise training-induced skeletal muscle adaptation and improvement of physical performance. FASEB J. 27(10):4184-93, 2013.
23) Okutsu M, Lira VA, Higashida K, Peake J, Higuchi M, Suzuki K. Corticosterone accelerates atherosclerosis in the apolipoprotein E-deficient mouse. Atherosclerosis. 232(2):414-9, 2014.
24) Laker RC, Lillard TS, Okutsu M, Zhang M, Hoehn KL, Connelly JJ, Yan Z. Exercise prevents maternal high-fat diet-induced hypermethylation of the Pgc-1α gene and age-dependent metabolic dysfunction in the offspring. Diabetes. 63(5):1605-11, 2014.
25) Okutsu M, Lira VA, Zhang M, Call JA, Donet JA, French BA, Martin K, Sanders JA, Peirce-Cottler SM, Rembold CM, Annex BH Yan Z. Extracellular superoxide dismutase ameliorates skeletal muscle abnormalities, cachexia and exercise intolerance in mice with congestive heart failure. Circulation Heart Fail. 7(3):519-30, 2014. (Selected to Editor's Picks)
26) Okutsu M, Ishii K, Niu K, Nagatomi R. Cortisol is not the primary mediator for augmented CXCR4 expression on natural killer cells after acute exercise. J Appl Physiol. 117(3):199-204, 2014.
27) Call JA, Kristopher C, Martin K, Lira VA, Okutsu M, Zhang M, Yan Z. Enhanced skeletal muscle expression of EcSOD mitigates streptozotocin-induced diabetic cardiomyopathy by reducing oxidative stress and aberrant cell signaling. Circulation Heart Fail. 8(1):188-97, 2015.
28) Dokun AO, Chen L, Okutsu M, Farber CR, Hazarika S, Jones WS, Craig D, Marchuk DA, Lye RJ, Shah SH, Annex BH. ADAM12: A Genetic Modifier of Pre-clinical Peripheral Arterial Disease. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 309(5):H790-803, 2015.
29) Call JA, Donet J, Martin KS, Sharma AK, Chen X, Zhang J, Cai J, Galarreta CA, Okutsu M, Du Z, Lira VA, Zhang M, Mehrad B, Annex BH, Klibanov AL, Bowler RP, Laubach VE, Peirce SM, Yan Z. Muscle-derived extracellular superoxide dismutase inhibits endothelial activation and protects against multiple organ dysfunction syndrome in mice. Free Radic Biol Med. 113:212-223, 2017.
30) Yamada M, Hokazono C, Okutsu M* (*Corresponding author). Maternal exercise training attenuates endotoxin-induced sepsis in mice offspring. Biochem Biophys Rep. 15:19-24, 2018.
31) Yamada M, Iwata M, Warabi E, Oishi H, Lira VA, Okutsu M* (*Corresponding author). p62/SQSTM1 and Nrf2 are essential for exercise-mediated enhancement of antioxidant protein expression in oxidative muscle. FASEB J. 33(7):8022-8032, 2019.